Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Emma's Birth Story Part 1


I'm back! After a long hiatus, I am finally feeling somewhat settled into our new routine. I have a lot of catching up to do on this blog! I am going to start with Emma's birth story. I want to write down some details so I don't forget! I am sure I have already forgotten some. And I apologize if some of this is TMI.

It all started on March 10, 2010. I had an appointment with my OB and was 40 weeks and 5 days, growing a little impatient. My OB basically asked me what I wanted to do. I said I was ready, and let's get this baby out of me! I am sure if I had wanted to wait, I could have. But we were all a little anxious and I think she was growing concerned about my placenta. So she told us to arrive at the hospital that night around 1am (March 11) to be induced. I called my mom up about 2pm after the appointment and she hopped on a plane at 4:30pm from Columbia to Lubbock. Josh and I began a frenzy of calling family and friends to let them know that Emma would have a March 11 birthday! I loved loved loved this day as my birthday is also an "11". I can remember the excitement we felt and spent the afternoon running around getting snacks and packing our things. We sat around and looked at each other, in complete disbelief that we would soon be parents! I tried to get some sleep, but just couldn't. We picked my mom up from the airport and spent time talking and showing her around the house.

Josh and I arrived at the hospital and all was quiet. We snapped one last picture:


My first nurse turned out to be a nice red headed lady that was related to one of our ministers at church. They got me all hooked and let me just say - OUCH! The IV in my arm hurt SO bad. Apparently the needle is really big and just left me with a dull achy sting in my wrist. I asked if it was supposed to feel like that and they told me yes, and some people say that is the worst part about the whole birth experience. HA! Well, it ended up being the second worst part for me, but I will get to that later :)

They started the Pitocin and the fluids and I was up going to the bathroom about every 30 min. we got NO sleep. It was quite an ordeal, because I would have to unhook a few wires each time. Josh helped me do this every single time and laughed as I wheeled my wires and bags into the bathroom with me. I eventually called my Doula, Kate, to come help. The hospital provides Doula services for free, and I thought why not? Kate was so awesome! She helped me get into to different positions which eventually really helped my labor get going. My body tolerated pitocin really well. They kept turning it up every hour until it was as high as they could go. I didn't feel a THING, and I didn't even have an epidural at this point. I still don't know what a contraction feels like (except for those fake braxton hicks). My doctor came by to see me and suggested that I go ahead get an epidural. I was only at 3cm, but I thought why not? I also didn't want to get into a sticky situation later and be demanding an epidural only to find I would have to wait on the CRNA to finish up with another patient.

SO they called up the CRNA. He was AWESOME and explained each step of the epidural. The epidural was not bad at all. The only part you feel is a small prick when they numb you, but even that doesn't hurt! It hurt less than a regular shot or immunization. He showed me the big epidural needle and it is VERY thick. He gave me a "good" epidural because I could still feel my legs and wiggle my toes. The doctors prefer this so that you can still feel enough pressure and know when to push. The CRNA came and checked on me several times during the rest of labor and afterwards. I don't know if this is a standard procedure, but he was so nice! The epidural is basically a catheter in your back and you have a button to push when you want to "re-up". I guess the whole "epidural running out thing" is supposed to by a myth because of the catheter/push button system, but I beg to differ......

We pushed on through labor and I had a new nurse at this point. Her name was Laura and I became a bit obsessed. I know I am weird, who becomes obsessed with their nurses? I can't explain it, but you just develop a weird connection with the nurses that take care of you in labor in delivery. Laura and a student nurse put a catheter in me. Wooo sweet relief! No more getting up and going to the bathroom. Catheters are my new favorite thing. You don't even feel yourself going to the bathroom, it just empties your bladder automatically. So weird. At some point they came in and put something on the babies head, I think it was able to monitor her heart rate? My Dr. came in and broke my water. That was interesting too, because it was like a warm gush of water and just kept coming and coming. It didn't hurt one bit, just a little hook up there and the flood gates broke. I bet I lost 10lbs of fluid right there.


After changing positions about 100 times and after about 12 hours had passed, I started to feel more liquid "down there". I asked my nurse if this was more water coming out from my water breaking and she said no, that it was blood but could mean that I was getting close! It is common for your cervix to bleed when it gets dialated all the way, and sure enough, it was! They called my doctor and she headed over to help us get started pushing.


To be continued..



Josh and me hanging out in the hospital room:


My awesome Doula Kate:


Sweet girls that visited from work:







1 comment:

The Phelps said...

how great hun. I am glad you are finally blogging about this and yes a catheter is the best thing ever. after having the twins, i had no problems intaking fluids knowing i didn't have to get up or feel it. but once it was out.... so disappointed i had to get my lazy butt up off the bed and go the "old fashion way" haha. love ya girl, and of course emma and josh