Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Working and Breastfeeding


It's no lie that I have been stressing about breastfeeding and going back to work. First of all, I would like to explain that at this point, I WANT to go back to work. I have never been the type that would fit into the stay-at-home mom role. For those that know me, you can probably see this - I have never been the type that enjoys cooking, cleaning, etc. I don't see myself being involved in playgroups, bible studies, volunteering, doing PTA, decorating my home, doing crafty things, sewing, etc. To me, the best part about staying at home with your kids would be getting to BE with them and watching them grow, experiencing all their "firsts". While this sounds nice, it is not enough for me right now. I'd rather try the working mom thing and see how it goes. Now, this doesn't mean I wouldn't ever consider staying home, and if we have another baby I might have no choice with the cost of daycare these days! This is just purely what we are going to do for right now. This is where I am and how I feel right now. Things can change, feelings can change, and I am fully aware of that.

So in swoops my stress about breastfeeding and going back to work. I want so so so badly to be successful at breastfeeding, and it is not always an easy thing. There could be latching issues, supply issues, etc. Also, I have been trying to figure out the whole process of breastfeeding in general and had all these questions in my head. It is pretty evident that I know NOTHING about breastfeeding. Example: when do I need to start pumping at home on maternity leave?how many times a day should I pump on maternity leave? what time of day should I pump on maternity leave? when should we give the first bottle of breast milk on maternity leave to get the baby used to it? will I need to supplement with formula at daycare? what if my baby has nipple confusion and won't take a bottle? how many times a day do I need to pump at work? how do you store and freeze breast milk? how do you thaw it out? what does a breastfeeding schedule even look like? does it hurt? do you feed with both breasts at each feeding? when do you switch breasts? how do you know when to switch? do I HAVE to pump at work? etc. I asked a fellow mommy blogger to answer some of my questions about breastfeeding, and she did this wonderful post:


She answered a lot of my questions and helped a ton. I am going to get a book about breastfeeding and attend a breastfeeding class at the hospital in a few days, but I have already realized that the internet and books could not answer all of my questions. I have tried researching, and most information is just general. I wanted specifics, so thank you Rachel! I know every mom is different, and she wrote about what worked for her, but she definitely eased my fears.

One thing she also helped me realize is that I just need to chill out. I need to STOP stressing over it (even that could affect my milk supply). If it is meant to be, it will work out. If I try really hard, stick with it through the pain and road bumps, it will probably work out (most of the time). So, here's to relaxing a bit! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

The Phelps said...

Yes best advice. Just relax. You will be fine.
And with working, what I would do now is just take note of the times of the day that you are least busy/would be a good break time, and plan that for breastfeeding time. Love ya cute lil momma meggie!